Fabulous Examples and Ideas for the 2021 Runway-Inspired ChallengeEnter the challenge for a chance to win prize packages
The four Threads digital ambassadors have been busy creating runway interpretations to encourage and inspire you to do the same in the 2021 Digital Ambassadors’ Runway Sewn Your Way Challenge. Now you can see their work, read about their experiences in making their garments, and learn a few techniques.
Let’s take a look at the ensembles these sewing experts created:
- Becky Fulgoni was inspired by Isabel Marant to create a flowing tunic and tailored vest. Learn how Becky applied delicate stitching to the vest front as an alternative to lace.
- Marcy Harriell created a technicolor minidress and jacket inspired by the designing duo known as Romance Was Born. Marcy shares an underlining method, which supports the soft fabric she chose for the project.
- Pamela Howard’s Max Mara-inspired dressy denim coat includes many professionally finished features. She shares the hidden buttoning method she applied to the coat’s center front.
- Gilbert Muniz hand-printed the fabric from which he created a strapless dress. The fabric and dress design were inspired by Versace. He shares his soy wax batik method of painting and printing the fabric.
These garments and techniques just may have you thinking about a designer you like and a garment you want to make. Here’s your chance to do so and perhaps win a prize after submitting your entry in the 2021 Digital Ambassadors’ Runway Sewn Your Way Challenge.
A contest with two chances to win
An audience-choice winner receives more than $500 worth of products from Beautiful Textiles, Janome, and Wild Ginger Software, and a winner selected by the four Threads digital ambassadors receives a selection of Taunton products.
We’ll compile and post the runway-inspired entries. Then you can choose your favorite. You don’t need to enter a garment in the contest to vote. Cast your vote between 12 a.m. EST November 8, 2021 and midnight EST November 26, 2021. We’ll tally the votes and announce the audience-choice winner December 3, 2021.
Digital ambassadors’ choice
The digital ambassadors will pick their favorite runway-inspired entry, and the entrant receives a prize package of Taunton products. The winner will also be announced December 3, 2021 at ThreadsMagazine.com.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER Ends 11/3/21 US residents, 18+ only
Editor’s note: For pointers on entering this and other contests, see the Sewing With Threads podcast featuring artist Daryl Lancaster, an expert on entering and winning contests and shows. Check out this post for advice on taking photos.
For the audience-choice winner
- Beautiful Textiles $100 gift card
- Janome Thread Carrier Set, retail value $188.99
- Wild Ginger Software Pattern Master Boutique, retail value $225.00
For the digital ambassadors’ chosen winner
Three Taunton products:
- Kenneth D. King’s Smart Fitting Solutions (book), valued at $34.95
- Sewing Essentials: The Versatile Jacket with Louise Cutting (USB) valued at $24.95
- Threads Insider single-year subscription, valued at $32.95.
Photos: Mike Yamin.